[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Assertion failed: missing > 0, file plrhand.c, line 38

To: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Assertion failed: missing > 0, file plrhand.c, line 383
From: Gregory Berkolaiko <gberkolaiko@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2002 19:03:57 +0000 (GMT)

 --- Raimar Falke <hawk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 16, 2002 at 04:36:57PM +0000, Gregory Berkolaiko wrote:
> >  --- Raimar Falke <hawk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > And I fought it was a straightforward change.
> >
> > It can easily happen that missing get < 0.  Line 388:
> >   plr->research.bulbs_researched += (bulbs - missing);
> > There is no check if this addition pays for a new tech.  So next time
> we
> > go into update tech missing can become <0
>
> Yes but this means that this city produce more bulbs than what is
> required for a complete tech. I decided that this is unlikely. So I
> add the assert and not a while(have_enough_point_for_another_tech).

Alternatively it might mean that the next tech costs very little which is
perfectly possible with tech_leakage set.

but I don't think a while loop is good.
you should still restrict to one tech a turn, I think (except for
Darwin).
or will it then be one tech a city, if you just remove assert?

also I am not sure if update_tech is a sole source of negative missing.
what if user decides to go for a different (cheaper -- it is possible
under new tech system) tech?

good luck,
G.