[Freeciv-Dev] Re: freeciv 1.12.1 spec?

To: "Per I. Mathisen" <Per.Inge.Mathisen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv development list <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: freeciv 1.12.1 spec?
From: Ben Webb <ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 8 Dec 2001 20:16:19 +0000 (GMT)

On Thu, 6 Dec 2001, Per I. Mathisen wrote:

> I suggest we do a Stallman and drop the major revision number. Freeciv
> grows by increments, so a major revision number makes no sense. That way
> next release gets to be "Freeciv 13". Simple as it gets.

Unlucky... ;)

> What should be in 13? As far as I can see the major parts are
>  - win32 port (Andreas)
>  - CMA (Raimar?)
>  - sound support (me)
>  - fix improvements rulesets (Ben? anyone?); we shouldn't publish
> something we know to be broken

        Generalised improvements still need plenty of work; even if all
of the FreecivAC stuff is included (not wise, as some of it is buggy)
there are still major holes (e.g. the AI). Improvements rulesets as they
are currently aren't exactly "broken" - they work pretty well (not 100%,
but pretty well) at reproducing CivI and CivII behaviour. I intend to add
suitable comments to README.rulesets and the ruleset files themselves to
explain the limitations of the code, and this should be sufficient for the
casual user.

        Ben
--
ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx           http://bellatrix.pcl.ox.ac.uk/~ben/
"And do you know Carolina where the biscuits are soft and sweet?"