[Freeciv-Dev] Re: freeciv 1.12.1 spec?

Cc: freeciv development list <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: freeciv 1.12.1 spec?
From: Jason Short <vze2zq63@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 06 Dec 2001 17:48:23 -0500

Mike Kaufman wrote:

All this talk about 2.0 has made me think that we ought to release a
1.12.1.

I propose that we set some specific goals that then release a new
version when we've met them. My preliminary proposal is:

My recommendation would be, instead of (or in addition to) trying to openly influence the maintainers to push in specific directions, you (and others) just try to help out patches that you think move in the direction of 1.12.1. Reviews are very helpful.

Once there's a feeling that we're about ready for 1.12.1, I'd recommend forking off a "stable" CVS branch, releasing a beta version, and going from there. It is very important IMO to allow development work to continue.

map topology: I should be able to play wrap_x, wrap_y, flat, or
bicylindrically (Jason,Ross,Gaute?)

Gaute has a plan for hacking support for these topologies into server and client. I don't know if he'll complete it, though.

General-topologies (which will allow all sorts of wrapping, plus iso-rectangular and potentially many other cool topology shapes) is not all that far off now; most cleanups have been done and what remains is mostly the implementation of the actual topology system. It would therefore be a shame IMO to not complete it at this point. Things remaining to do include:

- Put through the currently pending (small) patch to clean up isometric-tile math. - Provide another (larger) cleanup patch to make more of the overview code GUI-independent (Gaute needs to do this too, I think, so there may be some help there). - Provide one final small cleanup patch (or it could be several micro-patches) that fixes a collection of small problems through the code. - Implement and use the function find_representative_map_pos (or unnormalize_map_pos). Ross and I still have to bash heads on the implementation (see the earlier discussion on "candy-cane wrapping"), but we're agreed on the basic idea. - Add the infrastructure for the topology system. This includes the topology structure itself, information in the savegame about it, and new packets containing the data. If there was ever a time to break backwards-compatibility for the protocol (which I believe Raimar has been waiting for), this is it.
- Implement different topologies by changing the backend topology code.

The first three should be able to continue independently of each other, so I'll provide patches for the remaining two of these shortly.

jason