[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Comments on CMA 2.6

To: Christian Knoke <ChrisK@xxxxxxxx>
Cc: Freeciv Developers <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Comments on CMA 2.6
From: Raimar Falke <hawk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2001 15:01:17 +0200

On Sun, Oct 21, 2001 at 01:29:42PM +0200, Christian Knoke wrote:
> Am Sonntag, 21. Oktober 2001 09:08 schrieb Raimar Falke:
> > On Sun, Oct 21, 2001 at 12:54:23AM +0200, Christian Knoke wrote:
> >
> > > The resolution for the sliders is to high.
> >
> > I don't understand.
>

> Left side sliders: You'll never need -2..-20 surplus for anything.
> Just allow negative surplus or not.

Ack.

> Why not: (negative, 0, positive) three possibilities, where positive
> is just (+1).

No. You may need +2 or +3 to finish your unit in n turns. So a slider
is still needed.

> Right side sliders: Just (0, 12, 25).

I think more steps are necessary. Not 25 but more. Also note that you
may not be able to express everything with say 4 steps (1,2,3,4).

> I don't know what algorithm you used, are these numbers weights?

Yes.

> Then what does the 0 means?

You can't use the 0. 0 means no influence but this isn't what is
needed because every stat should have an influence.

> To be more constructive: You could replace all sliders with
> checkboxes. Make a header line for the checkboxes, clicking
> on these sets/resets all boxes in that column.

For the reasons above: I think sliders are still necessary.

> > > So, one solution would be to have (mostly) user-defined presets,
> > > with the user to be forced to give a name to each different
> > > setting he creates, and the same name for the same setting.
> > >
> > > Another way would be to have attributes that the user can set
> > > (or not) for an agent/city, e.g. "no food loss", "food surplus",
> > > "no production loss", "max gold", "much production" (in the meaning
> > > of: gold has a higher value than production), "happy" (hey with
> > > this one I kept most of my cities celebrating with only 60% of
> > > global luxury). We could find useful abbrevations to be shown
> > > in the city report.
> > >
> > > Both solutions provide a way to control the agents from within
> > > the city report.
> >
> > I'm currently working on user defined presets. These will be either
> > local (for this game) or global (defined for all future games using
> > ..civclientrc). I will also implement the enforcement that every
> > custom setting has to be named by the user. This should address all
> > your points?!
>
> Yes, most of it (see above). And just remove all presets except of one.
>

> > I have also experimented with generated descriptions of the
> > settings. However this leads to very long names.
>
> If you go there, you should use my "attributes" instead of presets.
> We could have strings like: "F- P= P** G* H!" that is, allow food loss,
> no production loss, maximum production, much gold, city must celebrate.

Sounds nice. I will think about this.

        Raimar

--
 email: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  One nuclear bomb can ruin your whole day.