[Freeciv-Dev] Re: find_the_shortest_path()

To: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Freeciv developers <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: find_the_shortest_path()
From: Paul Zastoupil <paulz@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2001 11:05:25 -0700

On Tue, Sep 18, 2001 at 07:54:45PM +0200, Reinier Post wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 18, 2001 at 02:34:38PM +0200, Raimar Falke wrote:
>
> > > There seems to be a simple solution to this problem.
> > > Introduce a cost for railroad movement !!!!
> >
> > Yes and no. This all depends on how you define cost. It is ok if I can
> > define the cost (for the path finding algorithm) as as
> > (normal_move_cost, rail_road_steps_taken).
>
> Yes, you want an arbitrary number of railroad steps to cost less than
> any other move cost, so it is really an infinitesimal number.
>
> > It is also possible to
> > include other things like distance from enemy or discovered tiles in
> > the cost.
>
> The problem with that is it isn't part of the game rules,
> but of a way of playing.

I know this has come up before, but CTP has a system for this.

I don't remember the exact numbers (I know someone out there does)
but railroads cost something like 1/10 of a movement point.  Roads are
something like 1/3 (hey we have this already) and then they have an
improvement that comes later in the game that allows you to build
magnalevs (or something like that) that gives you (almost?) infinite
movement.

In terms of game play, I do think its rather silly to be able to move a
whole army around the world in one year on railroads.  Think of the cost!
Even with airlifting you can only move one unit per turn per city.

--
Paul Zastoupil