[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Notes and serial numbers

To: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv development list <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Notes and serial numbers
From: Trent Piepho <xyzzy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 2 Sep 2001 16:23:56 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, 3 Sep 2001, Raimar Falke wrote:

> > > Making some crude measurements: on a simple game till -3000 the server
> > > sents 2150 packets totaling 144759 bytes. The client sents 30 packets
> >
> > Try a bigger game with more units and cities.
>
> The relative increase doesn't depend on the amount of packets are data
> but on the average packet size. And yes this decreases since the
> ruleset data which is sent at the start of the game is bigger per
> packet.

If you try a game with lots of units moving around, you'll probably find that
this increases the bandwidth of the server more like 50%.  You also don't
count all the extra packets the server now sends as a response that aren't
needed.  Each of these has PPP and TCP/IP headers to count.

> > This serial number adds nothing to the player's experience,
>
> Correct till agents or other client side ai are introduced. I will
> also be happy if you propose another way. I thought about this problem
> for some time and I didn't another one.

That's pretty hard to do since no one has seen these client side AI and agents
yet.  Maybe you should try play a game over a modem before you do this.  Just
because you have this agent pet project is no reason to tell modem users they
can't play anymore.