[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Notes and serial numbers

To: Trent Piepho <xyzzy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv development list <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Notes and serial numbers
From: Raimar Falke <hawk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 3 Sep 2001 00:50:19 +0200

On Sun, Sep 02, 2001 at 03:18:45PM -0700, Trent Piepho wrote:
> On Sun, 2 Sep 2001, Raimar Falke wrote:
> >
> > Proposal: remove categories and split the remaining two problems. For
> > client side ai only the solution to the first problem is
> > necessary. This will consists of two serial numbers (each 2 bytes
> > wide) to each packet and an empty packet (type (1 byte)+size (2
> > bytes)+2*sno(2 bytes)=7 bytes) after the server finishes processing a
> > client packet. If nobody objects on the general idea I will extract
> > the serial number stuff from the big note patch and post it here.
>
> So your goal here is to make certain that modem players can never run a server
> and will have a bigger disadvantage whenever they try to play with other
> people?

Making some crude measurements: on a simple game till -3000 the server
sents 2150 packets totaling 144759 bytes. The client sents 30 packets
with 461 bytes. This are about 65 bytes per packet. Extra bytes for
sno are: (2150+30)*4+30*7=8930. This would be an increase of 6.1%
((144759+461+8930)/(144759+461) of the total amount. Ok there is an
increase. The question is: is this increase tolerable? Can the same be
achieved with other means?

> I think it's obvious that you never play over the net.

Yes I have no modem.

        Raimar

--
 email: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 "Only one human captain has ever survived battle with the Minbari