[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Notes and serial numbers

To: Trent Piepho <xyzzy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv development list <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Notes and serial numbers
From: Raimar Falke <hawk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 3 Sep 2001 01:15:57 +0200

On Sun, Sep 02, 2001 at 03:54:30PM -0700, Trent Piepho wrote:
> On Mon, 3 Sep 2001, Raimar Falke wrote:
> > > people?
> >
> > Making some crude measurements: on a simple game till -3000 the server
> > sents 2150 packets totaling 144759 bytes. The client sents 30 packets
>
> Try a bigger game with more units and cities.

The relative increase doesn't depend on the amount of packets are data
but on the average packet size. And yes this decreases since the
ruleset data which is sent at the start of the game is bigger per
packet.

> > with 461 bytes. This are about 65 bytes per packet. Extra bytes for
> > sno are: (2150+30)*4+30*7=8930. This would be an increase of 6.1%
> > ((144759+461+8930)/(144759+461) of the total amount. Ok there is an
> > increase. The question is: is this increase tolerable? Can the same be
> > achieved with other means?
>
> You are not factoring in the increase in latency all the extra data will
> cause.

> This serial number adds nothing to the player's experience,

Correct till agents or other client side ai are introduced. I will
also be happy if you propose another way. I thought about this problem
for some time and I didn't another one.

> while makes the game much less useful for modem players.

        Raimar

--
 email: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 "I haven't lost my mind - it's backed up on tape somewhere."