[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Agent [was Re: patches]

To: Gregory Berkolaiko <gberkolaiko@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv development list <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Agent [was Re: patches]
From: Raimar Falke <hawk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2001 20:23:00 +0200

On Fri, Aug 24, 2001 at 07:04:30PM +0100, Gregory Berkolaiko wrote:
>  --- Raimar Falke <hawk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Currently the agent will only simulate every tile for a city of size
> > one (center + one extra tile). The plan is also to have a more long
> > term simulation here. This only required changes to one method.
>
> So currently it produces smallpox :)

No. You have to see your map if you don't require a minimal surplus.

> But what I meant to say was: I would really like to see an option of
> saying to the agent "ok, no new cities please, that's big boys'
> bussiness, but please irrigate where you think is neccessary."  Or "no
> irrigation for me, but please make roads".  I guess there is AutoSettler
> and Connect modes for this but they are not terribly intelligent.

The current version creates all possible actions based on some
constrains. These are currently:

+struct sma_actions_constrains {
+  int maximal_turns_to_reach_position;
+  struct {
+    /*
+     * Distance of the target position from the nearest city.
+     */
+    int minimal_distance, maximal_distance;
+
+    /*
+     * Minimal defense bonus of the target position.
+     */
+    int minimal_defense_bonus;
+  } city_building_constrains;
+};

There is no problem to extend this struct to also omit certain
actions.

The current version also allows the injection of external actions. The
action generation will never produce action which would yield nothing
(a fortess for example) since it can't weight how much (food, trade,
shield) a fortess is worth. However there may other parts (other
agents like a defense agent of a city) of the code which know how much
terrain improvement can be sacrifice to build this fortess. So these
agents can inject a fortress action. This action would have some
artifical yields attached. These are considered if a settler have to
choose which action to carry out next.

> But maybe I misunderstood the purpose of the Agent.  If so, please
> explain.

The current version doesn't do this but these are only small
extensions.

> But sitll, it's pretty impressive job you are doing.

Thanks.

        Raimar

--
 email: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx