Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: February 2001:
[Freeciv-Dev] Sentry and Fortify state Was: Wrong defense unit choosen i

To: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Freeciv developers <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Sentry and Fortify state Was: Wrong defense unit choosen in attack (PR#695)
From: Christian Knoke <ChrisK@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 14:51:30 +0100

Reinier Post wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 14, 2001 at 12:45:35AM +0100, Christian Knoke wrote:
>
> > So if there is no concept of being fortified in a city,
> > it should not be shown in the city window: the unit should
> > be marked "F", not "X".
>
> Well, as someone pointed out, a fortified unit doesn't participate in
> the cycle of active units, but it doesn't get woken up by passing
> enemies like sentried units.  In battle with low timeout the difference
> matters.  Like 'sentry' this is really a client-side state of affairs.

Maybe I have been misunderstood. The difference between "S" and
"F" state is important. But for now, units inside a city in "F"
state switch to "X" after one round, which implies a better
defense for that unit, which is not true. This can be irritating
especially for beginners (and had been long time for me). Plus,
if fortifying is useless for defense, the sentry state is prefer-
able in many situations. To make this clear, IMO the "F" mark
in the graphical representation of the units should not switch
to "X". (In the very special case the city dissolves it should,
of course).

You can enhence this for ships: they all wake up, when they are
inside of a city, and an attack unit appears - this costs time
in great battles. What about a "F" state for ships inside of cities,
too? (with no effect of fortification, no "X")

Christian

--
* Christian Knoke                           +49 4852 92248 *
* D-25541 Brunsbuettel                  Wurtleutetweute 49 *