Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: February 2001:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Wrong defense unit choosen in attack (PR#695)

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: bugs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Wrong defense unit choosen in attack (PR#695)
From: mike_jing@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2001 05:16:00 -0800 (PST)

Christian Knoke <ChrisK@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

I have watched this for a long time but wasn't
sure it's a mistake in the first place. Now I
consider it is.

When I have a _fortified_ e.g. warrior in a city
and produce a second warrior, then, attacked by
e.g. a horseman, the second warrior fights and
not the first one, which is stronger due to its
fortification.

Contrary to popular belief, fortifying a unit _inside_ a city has no real effect. To quote the Freeciv Help on Combat:

"...if the defender is a ground unit, and is either fortified *or* inside a city, its strength is multiplied by 1.5."

Therefore, the two worriors have the exact same defense strength regardless of fortification.

Mike