[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Civ II player puzzled by ICS strategy (long)

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Civ II player puzzled by ICS strategy (long)
From: "Mike Jing" <miky40@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 12:30:13 -0500

Aliaga <aliaga@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Marko Lindqvist <caz@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

In fact, extremely high corruption level makes ICS stronger >>strategy. Each city gets at least 1 gold even after corruption, if
it has trade at all. When (theoretical) corruption level >= 100% (12
squares from capital under despotism), you get 1 gold/city. Trade/city does not matter, number of cities does.

I haven't looked that part of the code. But the way it is now, corruption does indeed favor ICS, especially at the start, because it tends to build cities close together: shorter distance => less corruption.

[snip]
I seem to recall a helpfile where corruption was defined not as a
percentage, but simply as "amount of city output lost", say a shield
and a trade at 8 squares, two of each at 9 squares, three at 10 squares and so on until zero net output.

This is the biggest stall against ICS in CivII, forcing you to higher
Governements, higher expenses, building improvements, improving land...

In that case, we will have to review how corruption is implemented in Freeciv.

Mike