[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Civ II player puzzled by ICS strategy (long)

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Civ II player puzzled by ICS strategy (long)
From: "Mike Jing" <miky40@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2001 13:45:46 -0500

Aliaga <aliaga@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

[snip]
I'd say let's address the big guy by allying everybody else against
him, but then again, I lack the practical knowledge of Freeciv.

This is certainly part of the solution. Diplomacy is still being improved to make it easier. Formal alliances has been introduced into CVS since the last stable release.

[snip]
I'd rather see Fundies tweaked down to make them a fair competitor instead of banning them from the start. Maybe in some future release...

Me too. That's one of the important parts missing from Freeciv that I was talking about earlier.

[snip]
This reminds me of CivII's "food caravans". I rarely bothered with them. Are they implemented? Does someone out there use them?

Currently there is no food caravan in Freeciv. Like you said, they are rarely used anyways.

[snip]
Well, I would not call a dozen small cities "Infinite" <grin>. And if you bear in mind the need to let them grow later, you'll wind up having to space them farther apart, which only worsens things in the early time, so it becomes more of a challenge. The Beginning is a Very Delicate Time...

In Freeciv, you can build dozens and dozens of small cities and suffer no adverse effect at all. In fact, you can only benefit from them, and that's why ICS is so popular. There is no need to grow them any bigger than, say, size 3. You can see why those who want to grow bigger cities are at a distinct disadvantage here.

Mike