[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Sailing on Rivers

Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Sailing on Rivers
From: Erik Sigra <freeciv@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 19:31:36 +0200

Jules Bean wrote:
> > * Suggestion: In real life, navigating a river may be much harder than
> > sailing on the ocean. I suggest triremes only move 1 step in rivers
> > instead of 3. (Like the difference for land units moving through the
> > bush vs along roads.) Maybe it could cost 3 movement points for moving
> > upstreams and 2 for moving downstreams?
>
> Would be odd if triremes could then move more slowly than phalanxes
> (which get the 1/3 MP rate on rivers).

I believe that when Sid Meier decided about the 1/3 rate on rivers, his
intention was to simulate the possibility that land units could be
transported by river boats, but the actual boats were below his scale of
simulation. Now that we (soon) have river boats, we should remove this
bonus for land units and let the player handle it properly.

In that way, we would get rid of an obvious evidence of techtree rip-of.
(That is just one reason, and not the most important one. I have no
intention to start another long boring legal discussion.)

> Jules

Erik