[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Sailing on Rivers

Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Sailing on Rivers
From: Erik Sigra <freeciv@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 14:59:47 +0200

Jules Bean wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 23, 2000 at 03:32:28PM +0200, Erik Sigra wrote:
> > * Fix before CVS: Cities next to rivers can build triremes. Only cities
> > at rivers should be able to do that (se "Moria" in savegame).
>
> This raises the interesting (to me) idea of having a 'shipyard'
> improvement, which actually has a location on the map (like an
> airfield, or a fortress). The effect of this would be to allow any
> city which has the thing in its city radius to build ocean/river ships
> (depending whether the shipyard is on the river, or the ocean). These
> are built in the normal way, but appear on the shipyard square, not
> the city square.

Excellent idea! The fishing harbour could also have a location on the
map (maybe with its own radius (wich could increase with technological
advance)). But then you would have to build Coastal Defenses for each of
them (unless they are on the same sqare).

Completed airplanes should also appear at an airbase in the city radius
instead of some place in the town itself.

(The game would become more like Settlers 3 (or earlier version) with a
lot of separate buildings.)

> Jules

Erik Sigra