[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Sailing on Rivers

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Sailing on Rivers
From: Erik Sigra <freeciv@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 18:30:53 +0200

ZENIT News Agency wrote:
> although upstream/downstream can be hard to compute...)

That is right! I believe the best thing we can do is to wait until
Freeciv supports altitude of tiles, like in Alpha Centauri. Then
calculation of upstream/downltream will simply be comparing the altitude
values of the two tiles. Anything we would try to do in the current
world model would become bloaty, buggy and difficult to keep in mind for
players. Just start a game with 'set rivers 1000' if you don't believe
me.

With altitude implemented, the movement cost could also be proportionl
to the difference in altitude. Too big difference could be cosidered
unpassable (or cause damage to the ship).

> Mark

Erik