[Freeciv-Dev] Re: notify_player rewrite

To: "Per I. Mathisen" <Per.Inge.Mathisen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: notify_player rewrite
From: Lauri Tarkkala <ltarkkal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2000 11:32:25 +0300

On Wed, Aug 09, 2000 at 10:02:21AM +0200, Per I. Mathisen wrote:
> On Wed, 9 Aug 2000, Lauri Tarkkala wrote:
> The server and the client may not be using the same language (locale). How
> do your parse that?

Uh..

I may have overlooked some slight details in my previous post. For
localization purposes, an abstraction layer is obviously
required inbetween, which probably would be undesirable
to base on a natural language.

Yet, when I grep the code in server/*.c, it seems like
all the notify_player() arguments are specified in plain
english, like:

> notify_player_ex(unit_owner(punit), src_x, src_y,
>                  E_NOEVENT, _("Game: Only %s can attack from sea."),
>                  units_str);

Where do locales come into play? Is this not the string which
is received by the client?

BTW,

My editor/terminal/terminfo obviously did not co-operate very well
in my previous post. I hope nobody got thrown off by a couple
incoherent and out-of-place sentences...

Lauri

--
"The credit belongs to the man in the arena whose face is marred by dust and
sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs, and who comes up short again