[Freeciv-Dev] Re: notify_player rewrite

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: notify_player rewrite
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <Per.Inge.Mathisen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 22:05:10 +0200 (MET DST)

On Thu, 10 Aug 2000, Reinier Post wrote:
> You're proposing an improved gettext, but with an as-yet-unknown,
> Freeciv specific, compact and binary source language (defined in terms
> of C data structures).

I am not suggesting 'improving' gettext in any way. I am suggesting moving
the text messages from the server to the client.

> In principle it's superior to sending text, but
> I don't like the idea of having more Freeciv packet types because the
> transmission of C data structures over the network is such a pain.

I do not understand what it is that is such a pain, and the net result
will be the same number of packet types (one new, and one marked obsolete
and eventually removed).

> So I think your proposal will complicate the addition of new messages.

That, it will.

> An XML-based protocol ...

You know what would be nice? Corba for network, XML for rulesets and
glib for hashes&lists. But let's not digress (unless you volunteer).

[in another post:]
>The server could record the language of each client, perhaps as a
>connection field, and internationalize its messages accordingly.
>Gettext appears to support this.

I do not see why the server should send text to the client during
gameplay. We would have to parse the received text to pull out the
variables necessary for sound and client ai support. That seems
backwards to me.

Yours,
Per