[Freeciv-Dev] Re: notify_player rewrite

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: notify_player rewrite
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <Per.Inge.Mathisen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2000 13:54:45 +0200 (MET DST)

On Wed, 9 Aug 2000, Thue wrote:
> Rather
>    int E_EVENT, x, y
>    char var1, var2
>    int n1, n2, n3, n4
>
> (not too many strings; they take up a lot of space. They must have a max
> lenght; what would they be used for besides city names?)
>
> Then just "cast" the variables based on packet type.

I do not see why we should cast anything. You cannot send a string as an
int and since you suggest four ints, there is no point in casting from
the string to an int. There must be something I'm missing here...

> I don't see the reason to include oldversion in the packet type; what
> would be the need? To avoid converting all event messages at once just
> leave the code the handle the old format in the client in the mean time.

If I understand you correctly: I add a new packet type with the new
format, and leave the old chat packet as it is. That way the obsolete
format can be phased out without a protocol change later...

In that case, I can try to use
   int E_EVENT, x, y, var1, var2, var3, var4
and see how far I get, unless you know that some of these variables
must be sent to the client as strings.

Yours,
Per