[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Nations classification again

To: Tomasz Wegrzanowski <maniek@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Nations classification again
From: Steve Hodge <shodge@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2000 23:11:41 +1000

Tomasz Wegrzanowski wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 08, 2000 at 08:05:38PM +0100, SamBC wrote:
> > That was my point - all of this skin colour business is most unsavoury to
> > myself. I would suggest that *if* people insist on doing it, that they use
> > more technical terms like Caucasian, African, Asian, Indian, oriental,
> > aboriginal, etc etc.
> [...]
> > I would not categorise nations by skin colour, but if anyone insists on
> > doing it, use technical terms.
>
> With exception of "caucasian", what also mean something completely else,
> I agree to use your favourite "technical" terms.

Well if you want use caucasian on those ground then you shouldn't use
aboriginal either because in this part of the world it specifically
means the Australian indigenous people.

> This is not ``categorise nations by skin colour''.
> This categorization goes by ethnic groups and is objective.
> If you don't want to use it, don't use it. Simple, isn't it ?
>
> I always wonder why some people try to stop others from doing things that
> don't harm them in any way ...

I can tell you weren't on the anti-facism/nazi side of the recent debate
:-) Sorry, that was inflammatory, but I do feel that now we appear to
have decided that we are going to leave stuff out based on it being
considered generally offensive we'd better try to be consistent.
Attempting racial categorizations is guaranteed to offend someone.

Regards,
Steve Hodge