[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Nations classification again

Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Nations classification again
From: "SamBC" <sambc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2000 17:58:40 +0100

hmmm...

wording can be changed, but the concept is sound

> - most people wouldn't guess what race caucasians are supposed to be

It's the technical word for 'european white' origin (extraction)

> - arabs are ethnically and visually white

You want to pop over to Saudi Arabia or Iraq and double-check both of those
(darker skin tone, different ethnic origins)

> - some `asian' and `african' people aren't black / yellow,
>   so this will only confuse people

It's a better description of 'racial' origin. The races you describe as
'black' are almost universally of African extraction (some exceptions) and
all natives of most regions of Africa (ignoring the bit that becomes the
Middle East) are black (Afrikaans are not natives btw)

Also, I'd say most people from Asia are not Yellow!!! I've usually heard
that description (racistly) applied to oriental persons, covered by the
oriental description. Asia is places like India/Pakistan/environs. If you
are going to describe them by colour, I suppose you'd say Brown. I'd prefer
Asian personally.

> Also I think most people aren't offended by calling their race by color.
> Of course if there are some offended people who play freeciv, they
> should complain here.

I certainly know that it is considered impolite here, and it is considered
more polite to describe by ethnic extraction.

SamBC