[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Nations classification again

To: SamBC <sambc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Nations classification again
From: Tomasz Wegrzanowski <maniek@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2000 01:32:05 +0200

On Tue, Aug 08, 2000 at 12:36:15AM +0100, SamBC wrote:
> > 6.
> > Every real nation is in exactly one of classes :
> > white, yellow, black, indian.
>
> And I think some people *might* offended by these classifications - why not:
>
> caucasion, african (incl. West Indies et al), oriental, asian (different to
> asia below I guess), aboriginal (bracket including maori, amerindians (I
> don't like that term either, personally), &so on &so forth), arab (middle
> east nations etc).

At least four problems :
- visual grepping (asia asian, africa african etc.)
- most people wouldn't guess what race caucasians are supposed to be
- arabs are ethnically and visually white
- some `asian' and `african' people aren't black / yellow,
  so this will only confuse people

Also I think most people aren't offended by calling their race by color.
Of course if there are some offended people who play freeciv, they
should complain here.