[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Nations classification again

To: Steve Hodge <shodge@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Freeciv Developement list <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Nations classification again
From: Tomasz Wegrzanowski <maniek@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2000 11:44:27 +0200

On Tue, Aug 08, 2000 at 07:49:57PM +1000, Steve Hodge wrote:
> Tomasz Wegrzanowski wrote:
> > At least four problems :
> > - visual grepping (asia asian, africa african etc.)
> > - most people wouldn't guess what race caucasians are supposed to be
>
> Caucasian is the term used to refer to white people, at least in
> Australia and New Zealand by the police. I guess it's considered less
> offensive/more PC.

In Poland we say ``caucasian'' when we think someone is from Caucasia
(Chechenya, Georgia, Armenia etc.).
I think this it also true for all parts of the world where people
generally know where Caucasia is.

> There are certainly many parts of the world where those color based
> terms are generally considered offensive. Considering the number of
> people who are unhappy including even the concept of fascism I think you
> can count on offending someone. Probably better off not making any
> attempt to categorize nations by racial origins.

Here color based terms are generally considered neutral ones,
while pseudo-scientifical terms not always.