[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Nations classification again

To: maniek@xxxxxxxx, Steve Hodge <shodge@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Freeciv Developement list <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Nations classification again
From: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2000 16:15:15 +0200

On Tue, Aug 08, 2000 at 11:44:27AM +0200, Tomasz Wegrzanowski wrote:

> > Caucasian is the term used to refer to white people, at least in
> > Australia and New Zealand by the police. I guess it's considered less
> > offensive/more PC.

It is also an official term in the USA.

> In Poland we say ``caucasian'' when we think someone is from Caucasia
> (Chechenya, Georgia, Armenia etc.).
> I think this it also true for all parts of the world where people
> generally know where Caucasia is.

Certainly true in .nl and all of Western Europe as far as I'm aware.

> > There are certainly many parts of the world where those color based
> > terms are generally considered offensive.

I agree with Per Mathisen, introducting colour separation into Freeciv
is a bad idea.  Any classification of nations by 'race' (= skin colour)
will continue to raise controversy, which I suppose is the reason it
was brought up here.  The distinction present/historical/fantasy makes
more Freeciv sense, it has been discussed before, and there seems to
be agreement on it.  For example, Reed and Juan's work will be easily
accepted when renamed as the Troll nation, Troll government, and Troll tech.

--
Reinier Post