[Freeciv-Dev] Nations classification again

To: Freeciv Developement list <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Freeciv data list <freeciv-data@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Nations classification again
From: Tomasz Wegrzanowski <maniek@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2000 14:51:15 +0200

Here is a file with all <nation>.ruleset classified.
Of course it's not lower-higher race :-).

File format is :
nation1         class1 class2 class3
nation2         class3 class4 class5

in RE :
(\S+)\s+(.*)
$nation = $1
@classes = split /\s+/, $2;

I also made perl-script that can make sets operations (+ * -) on this and
print out results. I will make some nice CLI (and Gtk+ ???) front-end
and send it to some list.

Classification rules used in this file (can be different):

1.
Classifications are per-file in freeciv/data/nation directory

2.
Every <nation>.ruleset has exactly one of barbarians, misc_cities, fantasy or
real.

3.
Files with class barbarians and misc_cities has no more class.

4.
fantasy nations Dunedain and Mordor are also in class tolkien,
no other class used.

5.
Every real nation is in one or more of classes :
ancient, medieval, colonization or modern.

6.
Every real nation is in exactly one of classes :
white, yellow, black, indian.
Problems :
Filipinos are unclassified. I don't know what race they are.
Far-East Indians are not indian, but white. Blame Columbus. :-)

7.
Every real nation is in at least one of these regional classes :
  europe, america, asia (read : far east), middle_east, africa or
  oceania (incl. australia)
Also mediterranean and scandinavia is used for some nations.
Some nations are even in 3 regions at once like Egypt
(africa, mediterranean, middle_east).

8.
History-marks are yet to be added, like ww1, ww2 or cold_war.
For now, I added punic, feel free to add more.

9.
Some white nations are classified into ethnic/cultural subclasses :
celtic, germanic, anglosaxon, semite, slavic, finno_ugric, latinate,
hellenic, baltic

10.
civ1 and civ2 marks are yet to be added.