[Freeciv-Dev] Re: notify_player rewrite

To: "Per I. Mathisen" <Per.Inge.Mathisen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: notify_player rewrite
From: Geoffrey Dunn <geoffrey@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2000 17:47:31 +1000

On Wed, 9 Aug 2000 09:38:49 +0200 (MET DST) "Per I. Mathisen"
<Per.Inge.Mathisen@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Currently, the various notify_player routines send information about
> events (E_XXXX from common/events.h) as text strings to the client. I do
> not think this is a good solution, and would very much prefer all text
> messages to be produced on the client, and for the server to send only the
> necessary parameters. For (an imagined) example, instead of sending
> "The player so-and-so conquered city so-and-so">, the server should
> just send playernumber & citynumber and leave it to the client to
> construct a decent info message.

[snippety snippety snip snip snip]

> Any suggestions?

Make everything send a "generic" version that's just text so if the
client can't make sense of the data it will just display the generic.
Then build it up step by step, patch by patch. Seems to be a good idea
so it can be left to the client to figure out if it requires a special
sound, dialog box or maybe even a movie (like for wonders or end of game)
and the server does not need to know just what the client can do with
it.

                        Geoff
                        making his grand entrance to the dev discussions

Geoffrey Dunn geoffrey@xxxxxxxxxxxxx ICQ:8117102
http://www.backmeup.net.au/~gdunn/