[Freeciv-Dev] Reply-to-header [was: MP3 Patent Issues]

To: Jules Bean <jmlb2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Reply-to-header [was: MP3 Patent Issues]
From: Mathias Hasselmann <Mathias.Hasselmann@xxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 02 Jul 2000 17:48:59 +0200

Jules Bean wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 02, 2000 at 04:10:36PM +0200, Mathias Hasselmann wrote:
> >
> > But NO! The list manager does not sets the reply-to header -
> > as other list managers do! This a really bad behaviour, since
> > you can't simply reply postings and mail user agents have
> > nearly no chance to track threads.
>
> First, do a web search on "reply-to considered harmful".  Once you've
> read, understood, and thought about that information,

First: When is the sender of a mailing list message different
from it's author? I would say this argument only aplies, when the
message is generated automaticlly and indicates that the mail server
of the site which created the message is configured badly (ever heard
about mail aliases) or when the message is spam. Both types of
messages are messages *I* do not want to replay when appearing
on mailing lists...

Second: Group reply makes more work: I do not want to send the
person I replied two messages. Therefore I have to remove the
senders mail address from the header and I (probably) have to
change the mailing list from a carbon copy reciptent to the
main reciptent.

Third: Privacy. That's an argument. Private response to the
themes discussed here are quiet uncommon. We normally do not
speak about sex or politics on this list. And if we do it's
meant public - as in the messages I've send privatly by
accident.

But a least: If you really are convinced by this policy - in
my opinion not usefull for this type of mailing list - it is
no problem for me, to install a filter on my mail server ;-)

> Also discover the
> 'mail-followup-to' header and find out whether your email client
> supports that.

This mailing list's massages contain only the headers created by
the sender's MUA and by the involved MTAs . There are no group
headers as 'mail-followup-to'.

Ciao
--
PGP: 1024-Bit DSA: ID 55E572F3, 1024-Bit RSA: ID EAAF7CF1
WWW: http://www.informatik.hu-berlin.de/~hasselma/