[Freeciv-Dev] Re: MP3 Patent Issues

Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: MP3 Patent Issues
From: cyb97 <cyb97@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 02 Jul 2000 18:44:25 +0100

At 02.07.2000 00:27 +0100, Sam BC wrote:

> [...]

Will people not believe that the audio format itself is not under any patent
problem, only encoding algorithms?????

Since MP3's and OGG seams to be quite troublesome in different ways, why not go with modules instead? (not in programming terms but in music terms like screamtracker modules, fasttracker modules etc. (sm3, xm, mod, it, etc.))... They're quite small and perfect for ambient repeptivite background music since they can repeate the same sequences with small changes without any noticeable increase in size? And a well made mod won't sound much worse than a mp3 or ogg (? haven't heard them, but they can't be that much different from an mp3) why not give it a shot... and as far as I can recall there are opensource players available just waiting to get ripped the code out of... =)

--
Andreas D. Landmark
andreas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx - UIN:6632808