[Freeciv-Dev] Re: MP3 Patent Issues

Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: MP3 Patent Issues
From: "Sam BC" <sambc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 2 Jul 2000 16:19:15 +0100

Just to make myself more clear on that matter, with GIF, the compression
*technique* (LZW) was patented, perhaps in addition to the algorithms.

With MP3, the technique is an open standard subject to no patents. The
algorithms, on the other hand, can be developed and therefore patented by
any party under whatever legal system they choose (with exceptions such as
Europe).

So MP3 *files* and the *format* are guaranteed patent-free, while the
*en*coding algorithms are patentable. So as long as we are not
developing/using encoding software in freeciv we are in the clear.

The hey difference is that the LZW technique is patented, but MP3 is not,
and indeed cannot be.

SamBC