[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Header Etiquette (was: MP3 Patent Issues)

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Header Etiquette (was: MP3 Patent Issues)
From: Jed Davis <jldavis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 02 Jul 2000 17:17:33 -0400

--On Sunday, 2 July 2000 3:16 PM +0100 Jules Bean <jmlb2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Sun, Jul 02, 2000 at 04:10:36PM +0200, Mathias Hasselmann wrote:

But NO! The list manager does not sets the reply-to header -
as other list managers do! This a really bad behaviour, since
you can't simply reply postings and mail user agents have
nearly no chance to track threads.

First, do a web search on "reply-to considered harmful".  Once you've
read, understood, and thought about that information, read the
documentation for your email client and discover features it has which
may be called a 'group reply' or a 'list reply'. Also discover the
'mail-followup-to' header and find out whether your email client
supports that.

Hmm... I've been sending To: freeciv-dev and CC'ing no-one unless they specifically ask, but I'm noticing that other people seem to send To: the person they're replying to (and sometimes the next person before that, etc.) and CC: the list (which is what my client defaults to, although it's got a rather nice dialog for choosing the recipients before composing the message). Am I doing the Right Thing here? I didn't want people to get redundant copies of list messages.

--Jed