[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Diplomatic states patch

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Diplomatic states patch
From: Martin Christensen <factotum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 06 Jun 2000 20:16:33 +0200

>> I must agree that this feature of Civ2 is rather annoying, since it
>> makes it almost impossible to get along with the others, if that
>> what one wishes. I would like to at least have a server-side option
>> to toggle this.
Tony>   Why should the AI players "just let you win"?  That's quite
Tony> unsatisfying.

For the sake of realism, if a large player expands, then there's cause
for alarm, but if that player remains the same size, then I see no
examples from the real world where size has damaged diplomacy; au
contraire. If it disturbs game play is another matter altogether, and
a subjective one at that, which is why it should be an option.

Tony>   It is proper to hate the largest/leading civilization, if you
Tony> assume that every player is trying to win for themselves.

In a strictly game context, yes, it should be everybody against the
big guy (Jantelov, anybody... :-)), but that's assuming that it should
be a strict game more than a somewhat realistic simulation.

In this modern world we typically don't like imperialism much (not
that we notice it going on right before us). Therefore, at a certian
point, expansion = bad, not big = bad.

Martin