[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Diplomatic states patch

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Diplomatic states patch
From: Thue Janus Kristensen <thue@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2000 23:15:47 +0200

On Mon, 05 Jun 2000, Falk Hueffner wrote:
> Thue Janus Kristensen <thue@xxxxxxx> writes:
>
> > On Sun, 04 Jun 2000, Falk Hueffner wrote:
> > >
> > > here's a patch with some changes for the diplomatic states ("pacts").
> > >

> > This version of the patch does:
> > [...]
>
> Cool, thanks for fixing all the bugs I'm introducing :) Do you intend
> to check this in soon?

Moderately soon, I'll just give people a chance to read it and comment
first.

> BTW, another TODO item is implementing the
> Eiffel Tower like in Civ2.

About as much effort writing on the TODO list as implementing. :)

> To make this a bit more useful, I experimented a bit to make the AI
> handle peace. For this, I simply changed the places where it checks
> pplayer != other_player to pplayers_at_war(pplayer,
> other_player). Seems to work ok.

Yes, this need to be done. It may not even be too difficult. But it still
needs to take into account that non-at-war units can quickly turn into
at-war units, ie we need to make some extra code for that. (that should
mostly be relevant for cities defence)

> Next I considered introducing attitude, which would just be an int
> between -1000 and 1000. It should help to decide, together with a bit
> randomness, whether to cancel a pact.
>
> Attitude could
>
> improve on
> * gifts (not yet possible, AI won't meet)
> * attacking disliked civ
> * good reputation (very slowly)
>
> decrease on
> * cancelling pact
> * attacking liked civ
> * threating (not yet implemented)
> * trespassing (if not allied)
> * pillaging
> * spy attacks
> * unit attacked
> * unit lost
> * city damaged
> * city lost
>
> Attitude could also be used to decide whether to accept a treaty.
>
> Civ2 seems to use a similar scheme, but also makes all civs haet you
> if you are the largest civ, which I don't really like much.
>
> What do you think about this?

I think we should wait with attitude until we have basic ai diplomacy
working. I should then be easy to build on top of that. Until then the AI
could just use reputation.

>       Falk

-Thue