[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Diplomatic states patch

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Diplomatic states patch
From: Falk Hueffner <falk.hueffner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 05 Jun 2000 22:58:18 +0200

Thue Janus Kristensen <thue@xxxxxxx> writes:

> On Sun, 04 Jun 2000, Falk Hueffner wrote:
> >
> > here's a patch with some changes for the diplomatic states ("pacts").
> >

> This version of the patch does:
> [...]

Cool, thanks for fixing all the bugs I'm introducing :) Do you intend
to check this in soon? BTW, another TODO item is implementing the
Eiffel Tower like in Civ2.

To make this a bit more useful, I experimented a bit to make the AI
handle peace. For this, I simply changed the places where it checks
pplayer != other_player to pplayers_at_war(pplayer,
other_player). Seems to work ok.

Next I considered introducing attitude, which would just be an int
between -1000 and 1000. It should help to decide, together with a bit
randomness, whether to cancel a pact.

Attitude could

improve on
* gifts (not yet possible, AI won't meet)
* attacking disliked civ
* good reputation (very slowly)

decrease on
* cancelling pact
* attacking liked civ
* threating (not yet implemented)
* trespassing (if not allied)
* pillaging
* spy attacks
* unit attacked
* unit lost
* city damaged
* city lost

Attitude could also be used to decide whether to accept a treaty.

Civ2 seems to use a similar scheme, but also makes all civs haet you
if you are the largest civ, which I don't really like much.

What do you think about this?

        Falk