[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Diplomatic states patch

To: Martin Christensen <factotum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Diplomatic states patch
From: Daniel Sjolie <deepone@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2000 01:48:55 +0200

On 2000-06-06 20:16:33, Martin Christensen wrote:
> >> I must agree that this feature of Civ2 is rather annoying, since it
> >> makes it almost impossible to get along with the others, if that
> >> what one wishes. I would like to at least have a server-side option
> >> to toggle this.
> Tony>         Why should the AI players "just let you win"?  That's quite
> Tony> unsatisfying.
>
> For the sake of realism, if a large player expands, then there's cause
> for alarm, but if that player remains the same size, then I see no
> examples from the real world where size has damaged diplomacy; au
> contraire. If it disturbs game play is another matter altogether, and
> a subjective one at that, which is why it should be an option.

Exactly...
The typical player that would want others to hate him probalby
got big by expanding in a way that makes others hate him in the
process... But if I choose to expand more carefully in order to
keep friends I should not be punished if I succed...

> Tony>         It is proper to hate the largest/leading civilization, if you
> Tony> assume that every player is trying to win for themselves.
>
> In a strictly game context, yes, it should be everybody against the
> big guy (Jantelov, anybody... :-)), but that's assuming that it should
> be a strict game more than a somewhat realistic simulation.

Right...
I certainly am a lot more interested in the simulation way of playing
freeciv than just winning... I think simply viping everyone out is
really boring... If I have such a lead that artificial hate needs
to be introduced for the AIs to have a chance I'm not very interested
in continuing the extermination - I'd rather try another way of
winning...

> In this modern world we typically don't like imperialism much (not
> that we notice it going on right before us). Therefore, at a certian
> point, expansion = bad, not big = bad.

Mmm...
But I liked what was mentioned in another post about giving a (smaller)
diplomatic penalty for larger neighbours... That would represent a
reluctance to be "assimilated" ;) and could be compensated for with
bribes... :) But to make them hate You just because You're big is
not right...

IMHO ;)

/Daniel

--
Now take a deep breath, smile and don't take life so seriously... :)