Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: April 2000:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Civil Disorder or CIVIL DISORDER?

To: Peter Schaefer <schaefer@xxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Civil Disorder or CIVIL DISORDER?
From: Richard Atkins <rja@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2000 00:37:44 +1000 (EST)

On Wed, 19 Apr 2000, Peter Schaefer wrote:

> >> Can it, really?
> >>
> >>   http://www.freeciv.org/lxr/source/server/cityturn.c#L1587
> >
> >It can in Civ2, so it should in freeciv.
> >
> It needs two turns in the same city to cause anarchy.
> This makes sense because otherwise u have to think ahead one turn,
> forcing u to do micromanagement.
> Maybe you think it took just one turn because it
> counts too if the city has been in unrest during the revolt
> to democracy.

Ok, when I said one turn... I meant the following happened:

Turn 0: playing happily as a democracy, and then go and do something that
lets a city go into disorder (will grow next turn, or took too many units
out of town, or whatever)

Turn 1: server notices that the city is in disorder, and sends the first
message. If I don't correct the disorder in the city, then

Turn 2: server notices city is still in disorder, and sends the second
message. At this point in civ2, after 1 full turn of disorder in a town,
the government collapses.

In freeciv, this is happening on Turn 3.

Sorry if my use of "one" made you think that I was saying it happened in
Turn 1. Althougth the comments that CTP does some things that could make
you lose the game that way are worrying.

It also happens that you do need to think ahead a little in freeciv
anyway. Such as capturing the enemies capital before their spaceship
arrives, or making sure that when a city grows it won't go into disorder
and disrupt production, or that you have enough reserve cash so that if
the server collects tax from the cities that are losing money before the
cities that are making a profit no buildings will be sold, or getting
troops to the front before the other guy :)

Again, sorry for not explaining myself properly.

thanks,
        Richard

Hidden map is a *&%$ to play, but I still think its great. Thanks Thue!

--------
       Richard Atkins  rja@xxxxxxxxxxx
       http://www.pcug.org.au/~rja/

       "All these moments will be lost in