Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: April 2000:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Alpha Centauri

To: Stewart Adcock <saa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Alpha Centauri
From: Tomasz Wegrzanowski <maniek@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2000 19:08:47 +0200

On Fri, Apr 21, 2000 at 02:02:13AM +0100, Stewart Adcock wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been hacking the freeciv code today.  I would like to see an Alpha
> Centauri mode in freeciv, so have started working on it.  The fruits of
> my work are attached to this email.  I wouldn't expect this to become
> part of the official distribution (I've broken all the clients except
> the GTK one, modified the networking code and added things to the
> rulesets) but people may want to play with this code.
>
> Notable additions:
> o Borders between nations
> o Nations have their own money names i.e. Americans use Dollars,
> Britians use Pounds etc. (so factions in AC mode can have energy instead
> of gold - which wouldn't be particularly realistic)
> o Code for variable size city production radii is half done.
> o A new civ style for Alpha centauri.
> o Barbarians = Aliens
>
> I'm now working on AC-style diplomacy dialogues.  And, I spoken to Ben
> Webb who submitted a ruleset modification for the Alpha Centuari tech
> tree a few days ago.  We'll be working together to put together all the
> code needed for AC games into freeciv.  If anyone else wants to help
> out: send me an email and we can split the workload.
>
> The attached file is a gzipped tar of a patch to the freeciv 1.10.0
> distribution and a ruleset to play with Alpha Centauri and Alien
> Crossfire factions.

We should now make .diff between freeciv and freeciv/AC smaller.

1)
Valutas/currencies could be incorporated into main freeciv
if turnable-off. This was what I tried to do a month or two ago.

2)
much of the .diff is spacing/comments differences for existing code
and there is much of : `Only in freecivAC-1.10.0/subdir: file.o'
Patch size can go 10-20% down clearing them.