Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: April 2000:
[Freeciv-Dev] Alpha Centauri

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Alpha Centauri
From: Stewart Adcock <saa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2000 02:02:13 +0100

Hi,

I've been hacking the freeciv code today.  I would like to see an Alpha
Centauri mode in freeciv, so have started working on it.  The fruits of
my work are attached to this email.  I wouldn't expect this to become
part of the official distribution (I've broken all the clients except
the GTK one, modified the networking code and added things to the
rulesets) but people may want to play with this code.

Notable additions:
o Borders between nations
o Nations have their own money names i.e. Americans use Dollars,
Britians use Pounds etc. (so factions in AC mode can have energy instead
of gold - which wouldn't be particularly realistic)
o Code for variable size city production radii is half done.
o A new civ style for Alpha centauri.
o Barbarians = Aliens

I'm now working on AC-style diplomacy dialogues.  And, I spoken to Ben
Webb who submitted a ruleset modification for the Alpha Centuari tech
tree a few days ago.  We'll be working together to put together all the
code needed for AC games into freeciv.  If anyone else wants to help
out: send me an email and we can split the workload.

The attached file is a gzipped tar of a patch to the freeciv 1.10.0
distribution and a ruleset to play with Alpha Centauri and Alien
Crossfire factions.

Stewart.

Stewart Adcock      saa@xxxxxxxxxxx      www.stewart-adcock.co.uk
Physical & Theoretical Chemistry, South Parks Road, Oxford OX1 3QZ
Home: (0118) 959 4366  Lab: (01865) 275 933  Fax: (01865) 275 905