Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: April 2000:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Alpha Centauri

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Alpha Centauri
From: Stewart Adcock <saa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2000 21:31:31 +0100

Hi,

> > o Borders between nations
>
> THIS should be added to original freeciv too! Very useable feature.
Once I've hacked out the bugs I'll produce a patch on the CVS code with
a server (or client?) option to turn them on/off.  I would like the
borders to be coloured according to nation - but I haven't done that
yet.

> > o Nations have their own money names i.e. Americans use Dollars,
> > Britians use Pounds etc. (so factions in AC mode can have energy instead
> > of gold - which wouldn't be particularly realistic)
> Doesn't sound very good.
Why?

> My opinion is that we should extend freeciv so that it would have
> many features of smac (border lines for example) , because they are so
> usefull,
> but NOT TO make game smac-like - so, just copying features from smac.
>
> I have nothing against making SMAC mod pack (rulesets etc).
I agree about adding all the nice SMAC features.  The problem with
production of a SMAC mod pack is that some of the game mechanics are
quite different to Civ/CivII/freeciv.  An example is how SMAC units
consist of building-blocks.  I would like to be able use either scheme
with a simple set of server commands to switch between them.

Stewart.
Stewart Adcock      saa@xxxxxxxxxxx      www.stewart-adcock.co.uk
Physical & Theoretical Chemistry, South Parks Road, Oxford OX1 3QZ
Home: (0118) 959 4366  Lab: (01865) 275 933  Fax: (01865) 275 905