Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: March 2000:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Land Reclamation (was: Chunnel)

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Land Reclamation (was: Chunnel)
From: David Pfitzner <dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2000 12:07:32 +1000 (EST)

Cameron Morland <cjmorlan@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Further suggestions? I want to know if you think this idea is great, I
> want to know if you think it's the dumbest thing imaginable.

This general idea (Chunnels, Bridges, converting sea to land) seems
to come up periodicially -- do some searches on http://arch.freeciv.org/
to find previous ideas/opinions.

The main issue for "default" freeciv is scale: one tile is a very large
area of land or sea for "world-sized" maps.

Eg, see http://arch.freeciv.org/freeciv-dev-199901/msg00220.html
and followups.  Compare also
http://arch.freeciv.org/freeciv-dev-199908/msg00131.html

Of course variant scenarios/rulesets may have different scales.

-- David