Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: March 2000:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Chunnel

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx (Freeciv developers)
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Chunnel
From: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2000 17:02:00 +0100

> > Well, I am quite sure this will start a hot discussion. I think this
> > patch could be very useful, but it should be EXTREMELY difficult to
> > modify terrains this way. Players should have a very advanced technology
> > and it should last a very long time to modify a tile. If you raise earth
> > from an ocean square, it should IMHO be a swamp by default.

I agree ...

> Yes, this makes sense. Or, perhaps better, you would create a new tile
> called "ocean_bridge" that would allow both ships and land units, and
> connect together like roads.

No, why a new tile?

> Note that the difficulty of modifying terrain
> this way is configured in the ruleset. It does not necessarily need to
> take an extremely long time to build a bridge (ie, not cities), consider
> Canada's Confederation Bridge to PEI
> <http://www.tourcanada.com/cbridge.htm>. It's 12.9 kilometres long. High
> technology is certainly required.

The problem is, being able to convert sea into land will be a tremendous
advantage in the game.

I don't think underwater roads or cities are a good idea, but bridges are
interesting, because they would be vulnerable.  (Bombers must be able to
destroy them, for instance.)

--
Reinier