Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: March 2000:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: long-term FreeCiv play

To: Tobias Brox <tobiasb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Justin Mason <jm@xxxxxxxxxx>, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: long-term FreeCiv play
From: jm@xxxxxxxxxx (Justin Mason)
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2000 15:40:43 +0000

Tobias Brox said:

> > Looking at http://www.freeciv.org/manual/server.html , it looks like
> > setting timeout to e.g. 3600*4 would provide this. Would it then be
> > possible for users to connect, do their turn, and disconnect?
>
> It wasn't back then at least, but I think there has been done some hacks
> to it?

I've been investigating a little after this positive mail, and another
(private) one, it looks quite do-able.

BTW the idea is for a small group, e.g. 6 players or so, to play maybe 3-4
turns a day. This way a Civ game can go on for weeks "in the background".
Should be a good laugh!

However I'll probably have to make a few mods to the source to get it
working -- first of all the "timeout" param has a max value of 999 seconds
(any reason for this?)

BTW One thing I'm thinking of is a "turn schedule", where turns happen at
e.g. 11pm, 2pm and 5pm, Monday-Friday, so it can fit in when the players
are at work, but they won't have to wake up in the middle of the night to
get an especially good turn in ;)

I will, of course, provide a patch if/when it all works OK.

(Unfortunately most of my possible players will be Windows-bound, so let's
hope they can get free/cheap X servers to run the Windows port on)

--j.