Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: March 2000:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Chunnel

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Chunnel
From: Cameron Morland <cjmorlan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2000 08:48:37 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 24 Mar 2000, Alexandre BERAUD wrote:

> >For some time I've wanted to be able to build bridges over or under the
>
> > ocean. I thought that the terrain.ruleset would allow this, but it
> > didn't. This diff allows a settler or engineer in a boat to road or
> > transform the water _if the ruleset allows it_. To make
> > roads/transformation of water impossible, the time to complete can be
> > set to zero.
>
> Well, I am quite sure this will start a hot discussion. I think this
> patch could be very useful, but it should be EXTREMELY difficult to
> modify terrains this way. Players should have a very advanced technology
> and it should last a very long time to modify a tile. If you raise earth
> from an ocean square, it should IMHO be a swamp by default.

Yes, this makes sense. Or, perhaps better, you would create a new tile
called "ocean_bridge" that would allow both ships and land units, and
connect together like roads. Note that the difficulty of modifying terrain
this way is configured in the ruleset. It does not necessarily need to
take an extremely long time to build a bridge (ie, not cities), consider
Canada's Confederation Bridge to PEI
<http://www.tourcanada.com/cbridge.htm>. It's 12.9 kilometres long. High
technology is certainly required.

> In order to move land units on oceans, it could be fun to build tunnels
> under the seas (I imagine you know the wonder that fits here :o)) just
> like railroads, but once again, very difficult to build to avoid having
> too many tunnels between islands. Excepted, maybe, in a far future.

Yes, I've considered the chunnel wonder. What it would do (other than
allowing ocean bridges/tunnels to be built) I haven't any good ideas.

On Fri, 24 Mar 2000, Thue Janus Kristensen wrote:

> You haven't updated the continents at either the server or the clients
> so things like goto won't work correctly I think...

Sounds right, I'm not sure how, but I'll look into it.

 /
/  Wise words of the day:

We're back to the times when men were men
and wrote their own device drivers.
    --Linus Torvalds

\  cjmorland@xxxxxxxxxxxx