Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: March 2000:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Chunnel

To: <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Chunnel
From: "Alexandre BERAUD" <a_beraud@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2000 11:11:25 +0100 (MET)

>For some time I've wanted to be able to build bridges over or under the

>ocean. I thought that the terrain.ruleset would allow this, but it
didn't.
>This diff allows a settler or engineer in a boat to road or transform
the
>water _if the ruleset allows it_. To make roads/transformation of water

>impossible, the time to complete can be set to zero.

Well, I am quite sure this will start a hot discussion. I think this
patch could be very useful, but it should be EXTREMELY difficult to
modify terrains this way. Players should have a very advanced technology

and it should last a very long time to modify a tile. If you raise earth

from an ocean square, it should IMHO be a swamp by default.
In order to move land units on oceans, it could be fun to build tunnels
under the seas (I imagine you know the wonder that fits here :o)) just
like railroads, but once again, very difficult to build to avoid having
too many tunnels between islands. Excepted, maybe, in a far future.

Alex

"Holy war for holy fools,
 Blessed are those who break the rules."
             - Samael -