Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: March 2000:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Land Reclamation (was: Chunnel)

To: cjmorland@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: FreeCiv Developers <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Land Reclamation (was: Chunnel)
From: Stephen Hodge <stephenh@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2000 10:00:27 +1000

Cameron Morland wrote:
> So this is a reasonable thing to do. I'd say that the 13th century
> precedes "Explosives" --- gunpowder barely existed in 13th century Europe.
> So Engineers are not required; settlers should be able to reclaim ocean
> once they have some technology (bridge building for now, better
> suggestions?).

Levelling hills certainly predated explosives, too. In fact pretty much all of
the "transform" operations (except maybe leveling mountains) would be
technically achievable by Settlers. For game balance they are restricted to
Engineers. I think land reclaimation should also be an Engineer-only
operation.

> This is accomplished by making irrigated ocean turn to
> swamp. It's only possible for ocean tiles with water on three sides, and

Do you mean ocean tiles with land on three sides?

> takes a very long time. Note that for doing this, the ship must stay on
> the tile, and no other ship may pass through. If they do, the settler
> stops irrigating.

Regards,
Steve Hodge