Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: January 1999:
Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: freeciv suggestions

To: Massimo Campostrini <campo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: freeciv suggestions
From: Tony & <stuckey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 11:39:33 -0600

On Mon, Jan 25, 1999 at 08:50:20AM +0100, Massimo Campostrini wrote:
> Greg Wooledge <wooledge@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> > Massimo Campostrini (campo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:
> > > I think disbanding cities should be possible, but it should be slow
> > > and expensive.  The best I thought of is: if a city of size 1 is
> > > completing a settler, you get a choice of
> > >     1) delaying completion, like now
> > >     2) completing the settler and eliminate the city
> >
> > This is exactly what Civ2 does.  In Civ1, you weren't asked -- the city
> > automatically "became" the Settler.
>
> I suppose I should now write a patch for this. ;-)
> I guess it should be controlled by a server option (let's say
> disbandcities), and the settler should be supported by the closest
> city (otherwise it's too easy to get free settlers).  Comments?

        That's a civstyle option too.
        Civilization 1 had a rule that any unit you bribed or otherwise
gained which was outside of a 5-square radius from your cities was
supported by NONE.  This was a major advantage in the defense of nations
with Democracy governments, since they had less unrest due to units.
        Civ2 still produces NONE units sometimes, but it seems to be a
different rule, and the manual does document that in general, it's the
nearest city that supports that unit.
--
Anthony J. Stuckey                              stuckey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
"When I was young, the sky was filled with stars.