Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-data: April 2002:
[freeciv-data] Re: Cities in rulesets

To: freeciv-data@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [freeciv-data] Re: Cities in rulesets
From: Uros Lepota <beauty@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2002 22:20:21 +0100

TK>>     Isn't Konstatnitopolis was Byzant city? I think taht is better to
TK>>     add= Byzant city as a name of greek city-colony.  Another
TK>>     question.. why there is no Byzant nation? It was a empire tha= t
TK>>     lasted 1000 years after the Roman empire..

TK> Byzantine == Greek.  You wouldn't really talk about a `Byzantine'
TK> culture until the Eastern Roman Empire had reverted to using the Greek
TK> language etc.  Until 1919, Constantinople was very much a Greek city,
TK> and it remains the center of the Greek church.

    I Know, I'm from Serbia :) Ok, i just want to say that that was no official
greek state. :)

TK> FWIW, into the 20th century Greeks in Anatolia referred to themselves as
TK> Romoi ( == `Romans' ) -- there was no distinction between Greek, Roman,
TK> and Christian as identities.

TK> There's really no need for a Byzantine ruleset, as it would be merely
TK> duplicative of the Greek and Roman rulesets.

    Maybe.. but.. It was an independent empire called Byzantine.. Not Greece..
It was a empire with Roman state organization.. Senate etc. but with eastern
influence.. (Greece, Egypt, Persia...)... Remember.. Justinian coded Roman Law
as we know nowadays..

--
[cont@ct]
beauty@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx . http://www.reggaepower.org/beauty . icq:25520149