Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-data: April 2002:
[freeciv-data] Re: Cities in rulesets

To: <freeciv-data@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: <tkinias@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [freeciv-data] Re: Cities in rulesets
From: Cameron Morland <cjmorlan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2002 11:43:12 -0400 (EDT)

La 2002-04-27, Thanasis Kinias skribis:

> Greetings,
>
> What's the protocol for suggesting modifications to a ruleset?
>
> I've reworked my greek.ruleset to follow UN recommendations for the
> transliteration of Greek placenames, added a few cities (including my
> family's home village ;), and sorted out some by 'coastal_cities' and
> 'river_cities'.

The original intent of the terrain specific stuff was not to label cities
that are actually coastal (or whatever), but ones for which the
nomenclature indicates that they should be. For example, Cambridge in the
UK is named after a bridge on the river Cam, but Cambridge in Canada is
just named after the city in the UK. Both should be river_cities. A
counter example: St. John is coastal, but there is nothing about its name
to suggest that.

So, for example, you might mark as "river" a Greek city with some form of
"potamos" in its name (apologies for my bad Greek, if it's wrong).