Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-data: April 2002:
[freeciv-data] Re: Cities in rulesets

To: freeciv-data@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [freeciv-data] Re: Cities in rulesets
From: Thanasis Kinias <tkinias@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2002 13:02:47 -0700

scripsit Uros Lepota:

> TK> Note that I've also added several cities which aren't part of modern
> TK> Greece, but were important Greek cities historically
> TK> (Konstandino=FAp=olis
> TK> in Turkey, Alexandre=EDa in Egypt).
>
>     Isn't Konstatnitopolis was Byzant city? I think taht is better to
>     add= Byzant city as a name of greek city-colony.  Another
>     question.. why there is no Byzant nation? It was a empire tha= t
>     lasted 1000 years after the Roman empire..

Byzantine == Greek.  You wouldn't really talk about a `Byzantine'
culture until the Eastern Roman Empire had reverted to using the Greek
language etc.  Until 1919, Constantinople was very much a Greek city,
and it remains the center of the Greek church.

FWIW, into the 20th century Greeks in Anatolia referred to themselves as
Romoi ( == `Romans' ) -- there was no distinction between Greek, Roman,
and Christian as identities.

There's really no need for a Byzantine ruleset, as it would be merely
duplicative of the Greek and Roman rulesets.

--
Thanasis Kinias
Web Developer, Information Technology

Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul