Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-data: August 2000:
[freeciv-data] Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: fascism patch

To: freeciv-data@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [freeciv-data] Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: fascism patch
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <Per.Inge.Mathisen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2000 10:48:17 +0200 (MET DST)

On Tue, 1 Aug 2000, Tomasz Wegrzanowski wrote:
> > A ?Nazi nation? did never exist. There were only Germans who foolishly
> > followed a Fuehrer.
>
> Oh, they existed.
> They existed the same way Italians and Romans do.
> Or Bavarians and Germans.
> Etc.
>
> Freeciv definition of ``Nation'' isn't necesary the same
> as real-world definition.

As far as I can remember, the freeciv policy on adding new nations is that
they should not overlap (like vikings and norwegians/swedes) and no two
nations should use the same cities. Also, the existing nations are all
imitations of 'real-world' nations, either actual (swedes) or imagined
(dunedain). There is no precedent for 'political nations', and I see no
reason to introduce one.

I dislike the way this is being pushed and the way sceptics are being
flamed. I am worried about the turn of events. Freeciv has never added a
new tech or a new unit (ie not in civ1/2) to its tech tree. Now, the first
time that this is going to happen, it is going to be fascism, with SS
units and a nazi nation?

Yours,
Per