Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-ai: November 2004:
[freeciv-ai] (PR#10203) Greedy CM algorithm

To: per@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [freeciv-ai] (PR#10203) Greedy CM algorithm
From: "Vasco Alexandre da Silva Costa" <vasc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2004 18:55:51 -0800

> [jdorje - Sat Nov 13 06:18:14 2004]:
>
> I can't say I entirely understand it.  But then the current code is
> even worse.  It does seem pretty clear that the B&B algorithm will
> be a lot less bug-prone than the current method.  So unless anyone
> objects I'll commit this patch (Benoit, make more changes to it if
> you want).
>
> For S2_0 this is too much of a change, even though it's surely easier
> to debug than the DP algorithm.  So we still want bug fixes for the
> current system.

I beg to disagree. This code is plug-in compatible with the old and
doesn't change the network protocol, i18n strings or anything. It is
totally self-contained in one file (cm.c).

It fixes longstanding bugs and is faster to boot. I think we should
put it in S2_0 now. If it turns out it has even more bugs than the old
one, it is a simple matter of switching it back. Even if this does
happen, we will have got the benefit of increased testing coverage,
which will facilitate its development into a more robust form.